Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Feb 19th

Hi, Donna here: Dear Douglas, yes I did get your message, and I’m proud of Piper. Looking forward to see his graduated performance on the 1st of March. I’m a little concerned about the loss of the key in the hydro meter, – but we’ll check that out when I get back, don’t loose your key between now and then! Continue to do well health wise, and I’m enjoying myself. Do not miss the cold, snow or freezing rain, but think about you in the cold, snow and freezing rain. I expect you to be kind to your little brother and refrain from casting aspersions. Have not heard from Jim hope all is well. Perhaps you could check on that for me. Glad Debbie went by the house, not sure what happened to the bookcase, and which one it was, and thanks for rescuing the plants, especially the peace lily. That’s all for now, take care – love Mom.
PS: we moved 300 building blocks yesterday – to the second story no less, great eh!!

Hi kids, family and friends it’s nice to hear from you we were getting worried. Glad you are having fun. Sam sounds like you are doing great at hockey. Maddy I hope you are doing good in skating and school. Does this mean that Zoey is toilet trained? We are having fun and learning lots. We are doing great health wise. Did a garbage pick up today in the town. That went good. Until we good back to the compound to find out they were burning it. I don’t think I would have even bother I knew that’s what was going to happen. We were told it was going to be disposed of properly. They burn everything here and don’t think anything is wrong with it. This is partly our fault. We showed them how to make plastic and how to use it. Do you think we could have told them they would need proper systems in place to handle the waste properly!!!! Oh no that would make to much sense. All we seem to see is dollars and cents. Other than this little rant all is good.

Hi everyone at home. We are doing great here in Ghana. The weather is hot, but I think we are getting acclimatized to it. Hey boys, mom and dad are missing you, and you to Chester. So what has happened since the last post… Well we worked our behinds off for the Lord yesterday. We carried sand, water and blocks, enough to lay 300 blocks. We have laid all the north and south walls on the second floor of the hostel, now we are starting the east and western walls. Yesterday we also took a walk into the local village and spent some time shopping for snacks and fabric, the off to see Comfort’s sewing shop, Comfort is the wife of Samuel the caretaker of the YFC compound and worship leader of a local church. The Bible studies we have started on the roof at night by flashlight have been great. Today we were all up early and did a clean up on the main road from the clinic to the road to the YFC compound. We picked up garbage along the street and made a very noticeable difference. This afternoon many of the team went to a local school to give out supplies and small gifts. The grades at this school range from preschool to grade 5 with about 120 students or so.
So at home, how’s the snow? And anyone out there that can get a hold of my boys, brother, sister and mother, tell them to post! Phone them email them – whatever it takes, (Lawrence Jr. – this means YOU, (David Green)) it would be nice to here from family. Also, is anybody from work reading-Hello-?
Comments would be nice too. Okay enough complaining.
I am going to sign off and go and watch the ocean from the second floor of the conference hall, there’s a nice breeze…
We love and miss you all,

Lawrence and Penny

David & Ellen wrote, thanks Jenn & Ted for the Nascar update – even though Chevy hasn’t made a run at Formula One – big block racing is still a Big 3 event!! Right Captain Kinobe?



Sarah wrote:

I got some clinic time this morning – moms and babies everywhere…
I helped with registrations for a short while, then handed that off to Ellen when she arrived. I sat in on prenatal visits with the midwife – Sister Marion – for a while, then later spelled Kelly off of blood pressures, weights, and temperatures, so she could go administer polio drops. Sister Esther, a student midwife I worked with last time, said that it was a VERY busy clinic day. She told me that most of the white people who come through the village (tourists) won’t even look them in the eye, and all they (the local women) want to do, is to smile at them (the tourists). So when word got out that there were 3 white women helping in the clinic for the well-baby day, women flocked over so they could have the opportunity to smile at us. All the clinic staff were ecstatic, because it meant they had the opportunity to check on the health of more pregnant women and small children than they would have normally. By noon we needed to head out though, as our small breakfast back at 5:30am had long since worn off, and most of the team was heading out to visit a local school (Joshua’s school to be precise) at 1pm. The clinic staff were also very excited by our team’s garbage clean-up, as the backed up plastic bags in the gutter cause the water to stagnate (and that’s the politest word I can think of to refer to the condition of the gutters). The stagnate water breeds mosquitoes, which carry malaria, which causes huge health problems for people of all ages. They had a one month old infant in today being treated for malaria! All in all, its been a good day so far.

Hi Everyone, Janice here. Today we worked on some “environmental clean-up”. The gunge in the gutters was awful…fortunately we only had to deal with the dry garbage. We filled at least 40 large garbage bags. The church group we worked along beside would like to continue with the clean-up program…you could really see a difference. After brunch we took gifts to a local school. When we arrived, the 2 & 3 year olds were having a nap, but they woke up and sang their little hearts out for us. Midge, thank you for your prayers…this is truly an amazing experience. Steve, I hope you took some pictures for me. I don’t think I took any pictures on the first of the 7 walkways of the Canopy Walk…I was holding on too tightly!!! but I did manage to relax enough at the first landing to start taking some pictures…I just hope they do the scenery justice. Greg, good luck at WOSSA! Who’s Steph & where did you meet her…your Godmother & I want to know. Brian, about bringing my Jeep back… Take care. Be good. Hugs & Kisses. Love, Janice/Mom

Hi Everyone! Kate C: so happy to hear from you, Ben and Megan. It does sound familiar about skiing with you and Care! Love you Ben and Megan, can’t wait to see you! Sunday at Church was fantastic, I love the music and the joy, they dance up to the collection plate and I’m right behind them! Care: I know you are busy busy with school, the boys and I think of you often and how wonderful it would be to have you here too. Both you and Kate would do great work here too! The team is so great and today we went into the village of Kokrobite and helped clean up garbage. We worked alongside the Church group, it was a real partnership with the Ghanaians to deal with picking up garbage that isn’t the most pleasant job I gotta tell you! I am hearing about the weather! Yikes. But I can’t imagine it here believe me! Dealing with the amazing heat is all consuming but don’t get me wrong, I am thoroughly enjoying the blasts of heat but with it comes the most incredible wind and at night, we go to the top of the 2nd floor and we all sit up there with the laundry flapping in the background and it is so peaceful and breezy, it makes you sleep like a log! Wow, it is a grand sight to see me carrying pans of sand on my head to the building to help the Masonry people do their work of building walls up there. Hauling water is fun because we form a ‘congo’ line and the boys devised a pulley system to take it up to the 2nd floor and it moves real quick. Hauling the blocks of cement in the building is hot work and I am so glad the our ‘boys’, Jake, Lawrence, Daryl and David G. help get them out of the pile by looking for bugs, I mean scorpions, really nasty ones but the little lizards are cute! The ants are everywhere, you can’t escape so you live with them. You soon learn you can’t kill them, there are zillions of them. The people in the kitchen are marvelous women so eager to please us Canadians with food we can tolerate but the hot stuff is really exciting! Jared, Brayden, Kieran,Ben & Megan and Abbie: you gotta see the chickens, the goats and the sheep roam the streets in the village free of anyone harming them even the cars and taxis! We see little, little ones and they are part of the homes of everyone here. All the villagers look after one another, it is truly a community family. To all my friends (family too), I miss you and I thank you for sending me on this mission. Your gifts are put to good use with this team. I have a ton of stories to tell so bear with me, I need to unload them! I pray for my sister and really want to see Mary before February 28th, operation day. If any of my family/friends are on here, let me know. It is so encouraging to hear from everyone because it is sometimes isolating to be here without contact however, we are committed to working hard for the people of Ghana and Youth for Christ team and this is the first time really I have had some down time so here I am. I love you all and now in love with Africa and its people, I can handle it! I must close off now. God Bless you and keep those prayers coming for a safe and successful trip. Cheers, Love, Mom/Gramma/Friend





Hey there everyone, so today was a great day, helped the locals clean up the streets. And to see the improvement was awesome. We also got to go to a school and handed out gifts to all of the kids. It was awesome to see there smiling faces. Still falling even more in love with this place as the days go on and I did not think that would be possible. So hope you are all doing good back home. Love Darcie

20 comments:

Nadia said...

Hi Every one... YAY FOR YOU ALLL!!!

Ted and Jennifer Stacey said...

Kelly/Jake - Guess what...more snow today!!! ARGH!
I keep seeing things that remind me of you - obviously you're on my mind. Can't imagine Kelly walking across a suspended bridge - kudos girl!! Ted appreciated your comment Jake about the Robertson screws...only you guys would know that Robertsons are Canadian...LOL
We're missing you everyday. Even Elizabeth asks for you occasionally!
I keep telling myself it's only 5 more days until you come home. I'm green with envy for the work you're doing there, and I've even started the conversation with Ted about going next year...LOL - we'll see! :)
Dinner's ready - Ted is turning into a "kept man"...LOL - I say "kept" because you know he's not doing any housework Kelly!
Love, Jenn (and the others too)

Unknown said...

Hi Mom
I talked to Jamie yesterday. He had stopped at the house because he and Annemarie were visiting her father. Of course, he couldn't get in because the key is gone. Who is bringing in your mail, maybe they have the key?? I don't think Jamie knows how to blog. I had to tell Doug how but I am sure Anne probably did it for him because girls rule! Love you, Deb et al

Anonymous said...

Hi!!! Passed the message along to Lawrence Jr to tell his brothers and also to Bruce to tell your mom and sister. Will comment more later .. kids screaming... lol. Just wanted to let you know it has been passed along!
Love u!

Anonymous said...

Hi all,

I have had a number of people say to me, "I would post a message if I could figure out how to do it".

I'll make a tutorial for next time LOL but beware, you'll likely end up spending half the morning reading messages then!

Take care and stay well on this last stretch of the mission.

Love, Irene (Blog-Mom & David's Mom)

Anonymous said...

And Ever Nearer...

Hey mom and dad. Sorry I haven't been on much. Snow's fine, Ryan's driveway may as well be made of the stuff, and that's saying something. As you're probably wondering, everything has been fine health-wise. Nothing has been wrong exept maybe a bit of Family-sickness... You guys are coming back soon, right? Sunday? Well I've got some stories of my own when you return...

Love you lots,
..............Ben

Anonymous said...

Hey everyone! Things are still good here at home. The boys and I went to a teddy bear's picnic at the early years centre today. Evan had a blast. We went last week too. I think that I'm going to try and take them to early years on tuesdays and to baby swimming in port hope on thursdays. We took Noah in the pool for the first time last week and he seemed to enjoy it. Evan even went down the slide into the pool! I tell ya that boy has no fear! Lol. Nana is at home sick with a cold so I haven't seen her for awhile but she still calls everyday, and things are good with her too. Although I suspect she's not as sick as she lets on since she's still going to bingo haha. I'm getting really excited about Ben's big movie debut!!! I think that we are going to spend the weekend up there and do some touristy stuff. I almost can't believe how much you have all accomplished in such a short time, you should all be very proud, I know everyone at home is. Only 5 more days! It feels like you have been gone for soooo long! Again, I sent Bruce a message telling him to post and asked him to pass the message along to Lori and your mom. And I talked to Lawrence Jr. tonight. Your boys are all doing well, although a little homesick and missing mom and dad, and will try to post soon. Well I guess that's it for now. Lots of hugs and kisses.
Love,
Am, Evan & Noah
XOXOXO

The Boulard Family said...

Mary,

Sent a message to you from Dad on Sunday, guess you didn't see it.... Just wanted to let you know that he made it to his destination despite his illness/food poisoning. Seems to be doing better today.

Beth

Captain Kenobi said...

To Mr. Green: We'll continue this later!
To the rest of you: things sound great, keep up the good work! I would write more but I need to go fix a pump house.
Love
Nathan

tin2 said...

Hi Mother! Hello Father!
It's me your long lost son Lawrence! Sorry I haven't talked to you or the team. I meant to on dozens of occassions, but I've either been busy with history and math homework or tired from staying up late or running around ENSS after school with his band practises, science club or drill practises. On top of all that running around and keeping busy at the end of the day I want my one hour to play video games.
Anyways I would like to say that I'm proud of you guys for the work you are doing for the less fortunate.
I've seen Ben and Christopher once each over the course of the two weeks and I have to say they seem to be having a great time with their friends.
Miss you guys a lot, especially on family day, when we were suppose to be together. And you know who I miss the most? Definately Chester with his slobber and his dirty,smelly happy self.
I got to tell you about school (either when I have the time or when we get back)Oh I should tell you about my birthday. Nothing was planned except a ton of people remembered, I got a huge unexpected hug from Jeremy Ricketts

tin2 said...

Oh........ I didn't know there was a limit to what I could say.... Cause i definately just wrote a novel to you guys and they cut it off buy three quarters. I'll give you the rest of the story when I'm not so mad.
Your little boy -Lawrence

Anonymous said...

Daryl et al -
Thanks so much for posting - either pics, videos or what you're up to. My prayers are with you. Just to put the Ghanian heat into perspective - okay, if I'm honest I'm looking for a little pity here too... the windchill never got above -40 all day today! It's gotta be some kind of record. My prayers remain with you all as you continue to be the face of God to those around you. Evangeline

L.Bo Marie said...

NO!!! do NOT post pictures of food, not even bananas and goundnuts in a head pan... don't do it! you're killing me here!

Are you guys going to be in the city at all before you go? if so, see if you can find a chop bar somewhere near the hospital that's selling "smiling soup". It's one thing that's been on my list of foods to try. (Sarah, maybe you can convince someone to eat it?)
;)

I'm glad you were able to be a "smiling force" at the clinic ladies! keep up the great work, make sure to take breaks, take pictures and journal journal journal journal!

veittl said...

Daryl/Hope/Sarah and everyone! I've been having computer troubles so have not been able to keep up as well as I would have liked. This evening I have finally caught up and thoroughly enjoyed reading all the blog entries - sounds like the team is doing an amazing job and having a great time. I can't believe you will be home on Sunday! I look forward to a live update soon.

Daryl, I hope you are feeling better. We've been worried about you.

We are really looking forward to having Nadia here for the weekend (3 more sleeps!). Then we'll get her to the airport to hook up with you for the ride home.

Much love,
Tracy (and the boys too!)

Anonymous said...

Hey Darc!
I bet it was amazing going to the school and handing out gifts. And yes, Im sure its definitely possible to fall in love with Africa a little more each day. Im SO glad to hear (read) that things are going so well. Cant wait to see you!
Whit

Emily said...

Hi Aunty Penny and Uncle Lawrence!

I got wind of your home sicky-ness from Amy! I may not be from "home" per say, but I sure love you guys a lot! I'm so proud to call you guys family! Building schools, cleaning up garbage and sharing wonderful gifts of love and generosity!
David and I are getting really excited for graduation which is now only 8 weeks away!!! Soon we'll be RMT's! I'm still keeping up the awesome grades too! We'll have to plan a visit before the year is out! After all your hard work, I'm sure a well deserved massage will be in order!
Your sister is doing well - working her little butt off as usual. Her boys (Wes, Al and the puppy doggies, I mean) sure keep her busy! I promise I'll tell her to sit herself down and send you guys some e-love!
The weather in Calgary is starting to straighten up it's act. Over the next week or so we'll be in the pluses!
You guys stay safe and stay smiling! That goes for all you fabulous souls over in Ghana!
Love you so very much!

Emily, David, Ninja and Schwinn

steve said...

Hi Janice

Nothing much to report here. Looking forward to seeing you again this weekend. Trip sounds like it's been emotionally uplifting. Can't wait to hear all about it. The girls went to see Chicago last night and had a great time. Greg picked his courses for school next year. Brian had a good weekend and brought the Jeep back safe and sound. Other than that, same old, same old! See you soon. Luv ya.
Steve

Anonymous said...

Hey Lawrence and Penny, I have so much to be proud of my heart is just bursting with joy! What you are doing in Ghana is touching my heart deeply and you are constantly in my prayers (as if you weren't before, LOL) The approaching premier of Quarter to Midnight is another reason I'm so proud especially after reading the story that Aunt Lorraine emailed me from the Trentonion. The photo was nice to see too. I'm busy making travel arrangements to Ottawa and looking forward to seeing you there.
As for the snow, it seems there hasn't been a day without precipitation here in Toronto and cold, good heavens I'd think I was back in the Quinte Region. Toronto has had more snow this winter than it has had in the last ten years combined. My boots are getting lots of wear this year. I'm just glad I don't have to shovel it.
I'm excited for mom too as she is preparing to go to Germany on the Martin Luther pilgrimage. Seems like the most travelled person in the family isn't me anymore, both my brother and mother have surpassed me.
By the way, you can thank Amy for showing me how to leave this comment. She added me as a friend on Facebook just so she could pass on the information. I'm glad she did.

kathy said...

hey there Darcie:
Well it sure looks like you have had a most moving experience. I feel like I have been there with you, the pics are fantastic, I can see why you all love it there. I guess by the time you get this, you all will be coming home. This is a trip I'm sure none of you will forget, and it may be something you will want to do again. Looking forward to seeing you soon,and hearing the stories, so take care, have a good flight home, we love you. Aunt Kathy

Anonymous said...

Hi Mom,
It's getting close now. Keep up the good work. When did you become a bishop? I Can't wait to see you again and hear the whole story and see all of your pictures. Love you lots Ciao xo Kate