Sunday, February 17, 2008

Sunday Feb 17th, after church

Hi Everyone! We’re just heading off to church. Had a fabulous (& exhausting) day yesterday…successfully crossed the “Kakum National Park Canopy Walk”…Mary let me go in front of her so I could set the pace (didn’t like anyone else being on at the same time…wobbled too much)…absolutely incredible scenery…didn’t see any wildlife though…then on to Cape Coast to tour Cape Coast Castle…lots of history about slavery. Hard to believe we’re now on the last stretch before heading home. Miss you guys. Looking forward to hearing from you again. Love to you all. Hugs & Kisses. Janice/Mom

Hi Kate, Care, Kate D, Karen, and everyone that is thinking of us. Couldn’t wait to go to Church here. It is such a joyous occasion, I can’t tell you without choking up! It is evident that of course the Ghanaians live in unbelieveable conditions to me but their spirit, their joy, their smiles washes all around away. I may get another chance to swim in the ocean today! Then back to work tomorrow to really put our hearts into the last week. The Gold Coast was amazing, Kate and Care would love the waves there! The Walkway was so excitng thru the most beautiful jungle, the trees were massive! Elephants and others come out at night too - bad! The Castle we toured was where slaves were kept to send over to the Americas was very disturbing. How cruel humanity can be, we want to remember all persons in our lives are precious. So happy to hear from you all and the good news and the weather news LOL and my thoughts and prayers are with you today as we celebrate life. Kate: ciao xo Care. you make my heart laugh! I miss my boys, my Ben and Megan a lot! I wish they could be here too. Hug to Otterville Bill,xo.Hug to Carissa xo Cheers, Love Mom, Grams, Friend xoxo Darcie doing great here!

Dear Beth, thank you so much for you messages. Please give my lovey (Abbie) a big hug for me. I wish you could be with me here, you would fit in just great. Your prayers and thoughts have been inspirational to me and the team. Thanks for the word from Dad. It would be nice to hear more from him and I know he is excited to go to Hawaii and wish him a great trip!Love to The Dickster from me. Hugs to Eric & twins too. You are special.


Haven’t heard much from you guy’s. I guess you are very busy, we are very busy as well. Just got back from church. What a wonderful experience and a welcome change from the stiff ritual we call church. They have so much energy. Full of dancing and singing. Singing as loud as they can. We could learn a thing or two from the passion they show for our creator. Yesterday was a blast, walking above the trees from a bridge suspended by 1000 year old trees. Kelly made it. White faced and Shaking all the way. Canadians help built this I suspected this since our screws right away and I was later confirmed. Red Robertsons #2 all over the place. The Slave castle was an extremely different experience. The things our human race has done. On a lighter note. I’m still dreaming of snow. Meeting lots of people. I think I drove a couple people crazy on our 3 hour van ride. I got a little stir crazy, maybe a bit more than a little. Well I had fun anyways. They tell me I’m seeing things because I see Dill pickle chips and tootsie rolls at some of the stores. Hope to hear from you soon. Love Jake and Kelly.From Donna: Great to hear from you Joel and Debbie. Sorry about all the snow but I hope you enjoyed Jesus Christ Superstar! And that Taylor will enjoy reading week at home. Needless to say, he is still doing well. We are making wonderful progress, actually can see the walls closing in on the 2nd level of the residence. Good way to measure our progress. I am really enjoying the people I met and of course the team and find everyone to be most supportive. We went to the Canopy Walk in the National Forest, immensely huge area, 360 sq. miles. Quite beautiful. Although the walk was a bit daunting, I did DO IT! And there is pictures to prove it. Keep well, look after yourselves, and I will see you next week. Continue your prayers. Lots of Love, Donna/Mom


Hey there everyone. So glad to hear from you again Heather. I miss work and our conversations, but I really don’t miss the guys conversations lol. You must be just loving it. Today has been a very emotional day for me! I was in tears and actually balling my eyes out which I am starting to do right now. We had to share what we have accomplished and stuff you still wanted to do and disappointments. I have accomplished so much and everything that I wanted to. I have no disappointments, I am much more confident now, today in church I was the first person to get up and to start to dance around the room. The people here are amazing. Not just the Ghanaian’s but also the group of us, we have all became a family; David G is my father figure, Hope and Ellen our my mothers, Jake, Lawerance, David F, are my brothers, Kelly is my best friend. Penny and Sarah are my sisters, and Janice and Mary are my crazy aunts lol. Donna is my sweet grandmother, and my roomie, and then Daryl is our wise man leading us to something remarkable. So grateful to be here. Love you all here and back home. Hope you are all loving the snow I know I am loving the hot weather lol. PS how is my baby bear doing? Darcie


Hello, again from Penny! It’s so nice to hear from people at home, keep up the good work! By the way, if any of you see or hear from Lawrence Jr. or Benjamin, tell them I’m still here waiting for a comment or two! Christopher, I knew I could count on a terrific comment about how much you weren’t missing me as much as your brothers. Guess what? You only have another week until I’m back! I miss you all! Amber, thank you so much for blogging! I hope things aren’t too bad with everyone away. Hugs and kisses to you and the boys. Things here are coming along, there seems a lot to pack into the short time we have here. Next time will definitely have to be longer!!!! It seems that we will be able to finish most of the walls on the second floor of the hostel before we go, or at least get all the bricks up the stairs for them to continue after we leave. Clean up day should be an adventure on Tuesday. Pray for all to go well and that it will have some lasting effect for the people here. Lord knows that we are not always the best example for them in the West, we would like to change that in any way possible. We are being fed well, almost too well! I’m afraid we may come back heavier than we left at this rate! Yes we are working hard, though! Nadia: just to let you know, I passed out hugs for you! They were very well received, and thanks for the chance to pass them along, although I wish you could be here to give them out yourself! I guess that’s about it for me. Hug each other for me, Yes even you Chester. Lori you may have to help out there! Thanks for all your love and care at home. God bless!

From David & Ellen: We’re here and starting the end of an amazing adventure. Church today, a little shorter than last week, only 2hrs & 45 minutes. Weather still hot – no really hot – 38c (95+f) today, hotter yesterday. Just an fyi to all our family and friends – this internet thing works both ways – you can both receive and send – missing words from home as we’re the only ones not able to share names of loved ones and family members who write.
Take care, love you all.
PS: anyone know who won the Daytona 500 on Sunday?



Hi from Hope!

Everything is great here. We spent the afternoon with Emma and Elizabeth at a beach resort just talking. No firm wedding date yet, but sometime in the next year. Yesterday I spent the day with Joseph and Theo while everyone else went to be tourists. We had a nice quiet day together chatting and touring Salt Pond and the college campus. Haven’t seen Lois yet, but she is waiting to hear from universities. Pray that Trent gives her the best scholarship!!!!!!! Lots of stories to tell, but were about to go do bible study in the dark on the roof in the cool ocean breeze. Not looking forward to all that snow we’ve been hearing about. Wish you were all here with us instead. Hugs and Kisses, Hope

Just sending a quick hello to everyone at home – there’s so much going on and so many stories to tell you that I feel compelled to do it face-to-face as opposed to over the computer. We start work on the site again tomorrow so please pray for my strength there. Only seven days left until I see you folks again! Lots of love to you all, especially Danielle.
-David


Um…. What to say? I had a great play with Joshua this afternoon. He did a nose dive out of the empty chicken coop but I got him laughing with my funny white lady faces. Church was fabulous this morning. A few of our team members were up and dancing even! This afternoon I visited for a while with Comfort – she is so shy, but she comes alive when there is only one of you to talk with! Tomorrow we head back onto the worksite. Tuesday is clinic day. Feeling the ocean breeze waft up just a little to temporarily relieve the hot stickiness as I type. I’m not complaining though - - I’m trying to soak it all up before returning to all the cold and snow we’ve been hearing about. I think that’s it for now. Sarah

HI gang,

Daryl here….. We have had a full weekend. At our team meeting today we had some discussions about what we want to accomplish this week and have set some good goals. Every one is well – I hope to send up some pics on the website soon.

Peace to all of you at home – looking forward to hearing from you.

Till next time…..signing off.

Daryl

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear David F and the whole team,

It is 4:30 pm, Sunday afternoon. There is a freezing rain warning here, but so far it has just been raining in Brighton. Yes, raining now, making the snow all slooshy and the roads a bit slick. What crazy weather!

Have just read all your updates, and yesterday we enjoyed watching the video of you working on the hostel - you definitely have a system going! Today we played it at St. Paul's, and everyone enjoyed watching it, clapping for the whole team at the end. Penny, you look awesome in teal, and Lawrence, you make a fine narrator!

You all made it on the canopy walk - congratulations! Kelly, you had said you were nervous but you must have felt exhilarated to accomplish this!

Ellen & David - right now, it is lap 76 in the Daytona 500 - I will post you the winner of the race when we know too! But right now, the caution flag is out, everyone is coming into the pits, and #18, Kyle Busch is in the lead.

David F - your Nanny & Grandad say hi, and Grandad says don't drink any beer, but if you see any beer caps to add to the collection, be sure to bring them home. N & G are looking forward to hearing about all of your adventures and seeing your pictures. Grandma also says hi, and if she had a computer she would leave a message.

Dad wants to hear what you thought about the canopy walk and the castle, and is looking forward to seeing all your pics when you get home. Hopefully you are not running out of battery power. Rachel says hi too and is enjoying eating your valentine candy (joking!) LOL

And from me (Mom) - be good, stay safe, and love you tons.

Take care all!
Irene (Mom) & the rest of the Fulton clan

Nadia said...

Hello All!

You got me crying again! This time in the computer lab at school - and now everyone is like "Oh no! Nadia, are you OK?!!" and I'm like "Yeah, I'm just really happy and really sad all at once.. leave me be." Lol.

Glad to hear things are going so well! I can't wait to hear all about everything when you get home!

And Darcie, your posts have become one of my very favorite to read - you sound just like me!

Love to you all!

Nadia

Anonymous said...

Hi to all - Irene here,

This is to all the folks who are posting and perhaps why your messages are not showing right away.

Let me assure you that you aren't doing anything wrong!

Comment moderation has been turned on - meaning, the Ghana team has it set up to approve all messages before they "go live". It doesn't mean your post won't show up - it just means it will show up the next time the team is online.

The team will still receive all your messages.

Hope this is helpful!
Irene

len said...

Hi Darcie: Kathy just hooked me up so I will be able to write a note to you later. Grandma's knee is a wee bit better today, but still causing some pain. Will talk to you later. Love Grandpa D.

Anonymous said...

Hi guys! I passed along the message to Lawrence Jr and Benjamin. The boys and are I doing great, don't worry so much :) We all miss you here. I check the computer 3 times a day for updates lol! I was thinking that we should plan a girls day when you get back, I think we will both need it haha. So proud of what you have all accomplished in such a short time! Well, gotta go the boys are calling. Love you!
XOXOXO

The Boulard Family said...

Hi Mary,

I am at Dad's (have been all day as he has been very sick - food poisoning he thinks) taking care of him....He is missing you right now that's for sure. I am gonna type for him as he is feeling very week. I managed to get him to eat at 5pm and he is drinking a coffee and his head is off of the pillow and out of the bathroom for the first time today! YAHOO - progess. Didn't think he was going to Hawaii today that's for sure. So here's his message....

"I feel like I am on the mend...Gonna make it to Hawaii right now unless I have a down turn. Hope you are having a good time. Sounds like you are. It has been a quiet week here. Finished up packing yesterday. Ended up with bigger suitcase - don't want to run out of clothes :^) (inset from Beth- like that would every happen HA!) Hope to see you on Monday when I get back. Stay safe!

Dick"

Anonymous said...

Ellen - As promised:

Penske's Newman wins Daytona 500
DAYTONA, Fla., Feb 17 (Reuters) -
Ryan Newman of Penske Racing won the 50th edition of the Daytona 500 race on Sunday.
Newman, driving a Dodge, overtook Tony Stewart on the final lap of the race thanks to some help from team mate Kurt Busch who finished second with Stewart third in the opening race of the NASCAR season.

I haven't watched nascar in ... a long time, but it was exciting at the end!

Take care all!
Irene

Hennz said...

Darcie,
I am SOOO glad that things are going so well for you. I saw your mom at the store, she really misses you a lot. I can't even imagine the emotional connections and experiences you are experiencing there. I am quite jealous of you in so many ways. Tomorrow is Family Day and we actually get it off so I am lookng forward to spending the day with the kids. Not sure what we are doing yet, depends on our crazy weather.
Baby bear is thinking he is the big bear lately. Nothing new there. Just a BIT frustrating..okay maybe a lot more that a bit lol. But I know you will be back soon (you are coming back right?!?!? lol) and that gets me through things.
Dee says 'hi' and she hopes you are having the time of your life. I think even Juanita misses you :)
Take care everyone!
Heather

Jim Corcoran said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen said...

Hey Hope & Daryl

Glad to hear things are going well. It's sunday evening and Issac & Mikay are here with us. They've been playing games and generally helping Hilary create a whole lot more noise than usual for most of the afternoon. It's kind of quiet now except the screams coming from Ghostrider! Their sleeping over too - It's family day tomorrow - so no school; but Mikay has to work so she's getting picked up at 8:15. Issac says he'll sleep a lot later than that -which is ok cause i will too!

i finished my training in the photolab this week so Hope it's not under wraps any longer; people know I've changed departments, and many know I'll be dept. manager starting next month.

Well take care and we continue to pray for you and the whole team.
love ya

Anonymous said...

Darcie!
I am SO glad to hear how well things are going for you! (I cant blame you for not wanting to come home! There's too much snow here. Freezing rain today actually.) I cannot even imagine what you are experiencing and cant wait to see you!!! I saw the video of you guys working, and you look great! I cant wait to hear the stories!! How was your Valentines Day in AFRICA? How many V-days do you get to spend in Africa? Not many my friend. Haha. Mine wasnt that exciting which Im sure you're shocked to hear! But now I am home in Otterville for Reading Week! No special plans, just relaxing and catching up on shool work. SO, I love reading your blog posts and cant wait to hear more of your adventures in Ghana!
Miss you!
Whit

Anonymous said...

Hi Daryl, Hope, and all the team: We enjoy every word that is written from everyone. Sounds like you are all having an incredible time. We have you in our thoughts all the time, and constantly in our prayers.

We had a great visit with Isaac on Saturday, and enjoyed two short visits with Heather. All seems to be going well at the farm. Heather was in Whitby to see her sister play volleyball in a tournament. We got Isaac!!

I hope Daryl is feeling more like himself again. I am stiull hoping to leave for Edmonton on Thursday in spite of dealing with quite a cold the last few days.

Please say hello to Joseph and Theo for us. Looking forward to hearing about all the adventure.

Much love and God bless you all,
Mom and Dad Stogryn

Jim Corcoran said...

Greetings to Jake & Kelly and the rest of the team. Everyone here in the small town of Grafton is talking/asking about you guys. Many have viewed the video and got a kick out of the scene at the sand pile. Looks like hot work. Haven't seen Jake work like that since he was a teen digging out the basement at the spa. I dropped by your house today to give Dar the keys to the garage. She wanted to get the sleds out. We couldn't get the little one going, so we started up the snosport - it started right up. Sam was reluctant to drive it at first but Darlene quickly got him over his fear and now he rides it like an old pro. I'm not sure if you'll be able to get him off it. Zoey went for a ride as well. I didn't see Maddy, she had a sleep over at a friend's house. Up until today the snow has been great for sledding, but it stared to rain today. Had a good ride with Dar and Bas out to Bewdley last week. Everything at work is going fine, a few little things have happened, but that can wait til you get home. Dave is leaving on a last minute trip to Ecuador tomorrow to spend a week with his family. Congratulations on tackling some new things - looks good on you both. We all miss you and wish you the best. Take care, Jim and all your friends at Ste. Anne's. (p.s. I put a link from my blog to your blog so you may see an increase in traffic.)

Anonymous said...

hi mom and dad its maddy again, so I ended up going to the dance it was the best dance ever.1 mom was not there.wait, your thinking I met a guy,but I didn't.anyway,2 I actuly had fun . xoxoxoxoxoxo maddy ps i had a blast at paige's we played their wii too its awesome.MADDY

Barb Gunter said...

Hi to everyone glad to hear your all doing ok, & Daryl hope your feeling better. Missed you all this morning,St. Paul`s did`nt seem the same without you. Well David I was going to give you an up date on the race, but I see Irene did. We enjoyed the video, also like to read all your comments , very interesting . We pray for your safe return. Love to all Barb.

Unknown said...

Hi Mom. It's not that we are too busy to write, it's just that our lives are boring compared to yours right now! Did you see Doug and Anne's post? JC Superstar was good, not great, but good. He can still hit the high notes at age 64. Pat and I had a wonderful day on Saturday and we stopped by the house on Sunday. I watered your wilting plants!!! Hope they are okay when you get back. One of the shelves in the bookcase downstairs fell (the posts all broke???) We picked up the books and I realized later that the bible was open face down and I should have looked to see what scripture it was open at. Seemed strange that after all these years the shelf would fall??? The hydro guys put one of those smart meters on your house and I don't know where the spare key went?? It rained all day yesterday and we lost quite a bit of snow. Taylor missed his connecting train because the one from Kitchener was running late and VIA bought him lunch and gave him a 50% off coupon for his next trip. Air Canada didn't offer me anything when I missed my flight! Anyway, can't wait to hear about your trip and see you on the 1st. Love Deb, Pat and the kids.

Ted and Jennifer Stacey said...

David/Ellen - Daytona 500 was exciting down to the last 5 laps, as per usual.
The last wreck was Casey Mears, who was in 3rd place, when he pulled out in front of Tony Stewart about 6 laps from the end. On the restart, Stewart was leading, with Kyle Busch, Ryan Newman, Kurt Busch, and Earnhardt Jr. following. Kyle Busch passed
Stewart, but went below the yellow line with Earnhardt pushing him, so he had to drop back to his original position, eucharing Earnhardt. Newman and Kurt Busch hooked up at the top, and then drafted to the win...leaving Newman as the winner of the Daytona 500, Kurt Busch 2nd, Stewart 3rd. Earnhardt finished 9th...:( Ended up with 7 Dodges, 2Toyotas and 1 Chevy in the top 10.
Take Care!
Jen, Ted & Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Hello Hope and Daryl and the Ghana gang. It is lovely to hear from you and me, being silly, just realized I could send you a little note too.

It has been lovely staying here at the farm, today it was me feeding the goats and checking up on Pippin as Mikaela and Isaac have had a sleepover on this lovely little Family Day holiday.

It is also wonderful to attend your ever so welcoming church that brought me right in and has made me feel very at home. We have had lots of help from friends around town also - Nancy has been ever so kind to hold on to Mikaela before I get home to pick her up. And it has been lovely to meet Hilary and the Shutt's. I cannot tell you how blessed I am to be here in such a caring and kind family that laughs and takes care of each other. It is nice away from my student house where everyone is so segregated.

I do hope all of you are doing well. Congratulations on the Canopy walk - that must have been a blast, and safe work this last week!

Be well,
Heather Dabrowski

steve said...

Hi Janice
Hope you took some pictures on that canopy walk. Sounds great. Went to the cottage on the weekend. Everything is great. Unbelievable amount of snow, but it rained yesterday so I expect some of it will melt. The road was slushy as I was leaving so I had some trouble getting the car out. The garage door is on (looks great, you were right about the fancy one) and the soffits and fascia. Not much else. I assembled the boxes for the kitchen cabinets. Today is sort of a holiday but it hasn't been implemented particularly well. I have an interview this afternoon and Greg wants to have his new girlfriend over to "hang out". Need to find out when Brian is bringing the Jeep back later today. Next week is his reading week and I don't think he has any plans. Looking forward to seeing you this Sunday. Luv ya.
Steve

Anonymous said...

Hi Mom,
Your weekend sounded like it was really interesting. I would love to do a canopy walk in the jungle and body surf the waves of the Gold Coast. Well, right now you are probably back to doing a lot of hard work while the kids and I sit here on family day doing nothing. Ben is driving me crazy wanting to go skiing again. One night of skiing and both of them have ski fever. Megan even said she wants to be skier when she grows up. Sound familiar?
Ben says "Hi Gramma, how was your trip on the way there? I hope you come back safe and have a good trip. Bye love you"
Megan says " I miss you Gramma and love you lots. I can't wait to see you again."
We look forward to more updates and wish you all the best in your final week in Ghana. Ciao xo Kate, Ben and Megan

Captain Kenobi said...

2 Toyotas in the top 10 at the 500??? It's pretty sad when the Japanese can beat the big three at even their own type of racing. Can't remember the last Formula One car Chevy made...which one was it? GO IMPORTS!!! *sigh* that makes me feel better. Anyway, things are good at home. Although I'll never turn down another paid holiday, family day sucks. This family of our is spread awfully thin across God's big world. Recently I dug out the Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young CD to throw in my car, not sure why. Except that every time 'Our House' plays I almost need to pull over for all the tears. I love you all. Hold on to this new family you have found and never let go.
I love you again
Captain Kenobi

Anonymous said...

Hi again from Doug, Anne and Piper, Glad to hear your having a great time and all. Anne and I have been busy mostly with work, and we've both had bad colds to deal with at the same time.Piper graduated from puppy school on Saturday and everyone was proud!! Hopefully you'll read this post as you didnt seem to notice the last one I sent. Anyways enjoy your last week there and we look forward to seeing you when we get back. By the way ...Joel smells!!!

L.Bo Marie said...

sarah!
you got that right, soak it up baby cause all it's done since you've left is SNOW.

though, I just looked out the window and it seems to be raining down on our piles ... shrinking them I hope, I can't be nosey when I can't see over the snow banks.

all is well here, praying for you :)

ps, thanks for the valentines!

Greg said...

hey mom, its greg, ghana sounds like it has been sooo much fun! today i plan on having steph over as steve explained. on friday i go to St. Thomas for the OFSSA qualifyings so i get out of school!!! ive made my course selections for next year already. miss you lots. xox love greg. PS see you on sunday.

Jack said...

It is good to see that you all are enjoying the most of the time. What a blessing to you and through you!
Have a great week.

midge said...

Hi Ghana guys
We enjoyed the mini clip of the great Canadian invention at the 8am service yesterday. Karen showed me how to send you a message as I have been loosing the battle with my computer on how to do this task. It sounds like everyone has been very busy but also able to have some down time to enjoy some local culture. I noticed Hope that you have been shopping - something colourful ? How is the "hooking" going? Janice you have been in my prayers for some time and I am glad you are enjoying your experience. Could you bring the sun back with you as were are in need of it here in Brighton. Hope you are feeling better now Daryl. Donna you sound over the moon to be there. Looking forward to hearing about all of your experiences when you return. Stay cool Midge Trauzzi

Anonymous said...

Hi Jake and Kelly; we miss you here but are having fun. we have been bowling; Zoey went without her diaper there. She has been a good girl.Glad you are having a great adventure and learning lots. Sam got a goal and assist tonite. Bas watched them today.Maddy has been a big help on the home front.
Love yas Darlene,and gang xoxo

The Whitehouse Family said...

Hi Mary; I just found the site for some reason I was typing it wrong. Looks like everything there is really a learning excersise. Busy as usual here, are tying to get down after both you and dad get home. Take care. Lots of prayers and thoughts. Leanne et al.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joan said...

Hi Donna and the Team:My soul where has the time gone?  Seems like yesterday you were getting ready to go and now you are trying to get so much accomplished in these last few days. The canopy walk sounds awesome.  have seen documentaries on the slave castles in Africa. Dreadful..  Can't imagine what it would be like to be in one, now or during the slave trade.  Not doing too well getting this message sent.  Lost it the first time. Certainly not a computer pro. "Hello" to Jake & Kelly" from Jody, Pam & Ian.  They went to St. Peter's church  Sunday morning and then over to the Cobourg Winterfest.  Arrived at my door about 1:30...soaking wet, asking for hot chocolate. They bought some 'beaver tails for a treat...very tasty.  Had lunch, got dried off and headed out again. Oh to be young. They watched the Polar Bear Plunge at the Lake.  One of the hospital volunteers was wearing a bikini.  Better her than me. BRRR!!! The raised over $5,000. for the NHH auxilary fund, which was great. Keep up the good work.  You have accomplished so much and are an swesome team on the "Journey with Jesus 2008.